One of the magazines I started getting automatically once I registered my publishing business/book is Book Business. In their current issue, I was especially interested in the following statistics under the heading “Who is Reading Books?” in one of the articles. Here is what they reported:
- The average age of today’s book reader is 44, but 50 is the average age of the most frequent book buyer.
- 58 percent of readers are women; 42 percent are men.
- Women purchase 65 percent of books.
- 50 percent of Americans ages 13 and older bought a book last year.
- 41 percent of all books purchased are by buyers earning less than $35,000/year.
- $10.08 is the average price paid for a book last year.
- 31 percent of in-store or online purchases are impulse buys.